• Blog

    William Camden (1551-1623): Head Master and Antiquarian

    Article by Ruth de Wynter,¬†Archive Volunteer, first published in The Camden, 2013 William Camden was born at the Old Bailey, London, the son of Sampsen Camden, a painter-stainer and Elizabeth Curwen. He firstly attended Christ’s Hospital School in the City of London but after suffering from Plague in 1563 was removed to Islington.¬† Upon recovery he attended St Paul’s School,…

  • History Trail

    The Camden Room

    The Camden Room takes its name from Westminster School Head Master, William Camden (1551-1623) whose portrait hangs on the west wall. Camden is one of the school’s best known Head Masters, an antiquarian, historian, topographer and herald, perhaps best known for his great work Britannia which surveyed the geography and history of Great Britain and Ireland. The long school holidays…